Thursday, November 16, 2006

Vista Update

From David:

I just got off the phone with Melissa Burke (manager of hosting services). We are scheduling a conference call for 2:30 PM (MT). They plan to provide some recommendations at that time.
Overnight, one of the DBA's created two indexes on our system to help fix the "runaway" SQL issue. They are waiting for business to pick up to see if that controls the issue. They are also looking hard at Chris Dos' suggestion of providing a hot fix -- rather, pulling out the specific fix for the SQL problem from AP1/SP1 upgrade, so that we are not forced to do the entire upgrade early. She said the whole company is rallying around trying to fix these issues for us.

We are tossing around the idea of trying the upgrade (application pack 1 and service pack 1, currently scheduled for Dec. 20th) again on Thanksgiving day. Nothing is decided yet and we would prefer to not do that, but this is a head's up for all of you. Upgrading would mean that Vista would be inaccessable from 11:00 Wednesday night through around 4:00 Thanksgiving afternoon. Our traffic typically drops by about 50% on Thanksgiving, making it the lowest impact day to choose between now and the end of the semester.

I've also asked BB hosting to seriously consider whether or not they can handle our increase in load for the spring term. More news when they get back to me on that.


No comments: