It is just far enough into the term where students are already providing indicators about how they are doing. Mid-term is very often too late for a student to get tutoring, pay attention to time lines, or pick up tips to improve both learning habits and the resulting grades.
Providing Encouragement and Direction
- Sending email or posting announcements that express your wishes for learner success.
- Letting students know that grades are up and you welcome any communication or questions.
- Providing updated grading posts in the gradebook.
- Providing learners w/ their own grading spreadsheet/scorecard to encourage them to keep track of their own progress.
- Sending email w/ tips to specific learners about what is good, yet what is needed to gain more points in an assignment.
- Calling learners to let them know how important participation is.
- Inviting learners to set a call with you with questions.
- Letting learners know about tutoring services and providing a link and possible incentives for using the service (better grades, bonus points for submitting the tutoring transcript).
Do you have tips or success stories you are willing to share? Please post them in the comments!